Sunday, March 18, 2012

Turks and Chaos

             When I found out I was going to Turks and Caicos with my family for spring break I was both excited and a tad apprehensive. While most college students go out to all-inclusive resorts with their friends and spend a week drinking, I knew I would most likely be participating in something much more low-key. Although to some of my friends I complained about going on a "family vacation," secretly I was thrilled because it meant a week of sleeping and relaxing where I didn't have to spend a dime of my own money (sounds bad but I'm really not financially independent as of right now).
              The trip started out around 4:30 am as all 8 of us headed to the airport in anticipation of our early flight to Philadelphia. Everyone was exhausted but in good spirits, sitting around listening to ipods and reading. Moods began to shift ever so slightly when our flight kept being delayed and reports of fog in Philly came through. It soon became clear that our flight was not going to leave today at all. For eight people running on only a few hours a sleep, this news came as a massive blow. My step-grandmother made the executive decision that we would rent cars and drive to Charlotte so we could get a direct flight to Turks and Caicos. The five hour car ride was unpleasant but manageable as we imagined laying on the beach in less than a day. Finally things began to run smoothly again and we made it to the island in one piece and with all our luggage. The weather was glorious and the villa we were staying in was unreal.
            Fast forward six days and we were preparing to leave. No one wanted to go back to reality after relaxing days of near perfect weather, so we grudgingly packed up and arrived at the airport. The unfortunate thing about the airport there is that it is tiny. Actually tiny isn't even the right word to use. I've seen restaurants larger than this airport and in fact all of the lines to get through security are outside. We had to stand in one of these lines for almost two hours because we were conveniently flying out on the busiest traveling day of the year there. The line was miserable. There was no shading or covering until we were in the line about an hour, and by that point we were hot, even more burnt, and irritable. When we finally made it inside and were waiting for our flight to come, things began to go downhill rapidly. The airport was probably past maximum capacity and I soon noticed that NO flights whatsoever had left the airport or come into the island. People began getting antsy as almost every flight kept being delayed multiple times. Eventually it became clear that something was up. Every flight was canceled and people began to panic. Apparently, the air traffic controllers hadn't been paid in a month and wisely chose to go on strike on the busiest traveling day to make a statement. Their plan succeeded. A statement was made. Everyone began frantically searching for a new flight and places to stay for the night. Thankfully the villa we stayed at was still open so we just went back. My entire family was on edge and things were less than pleasant. By the time we finally got a flight, I wanted to cry of pure relief. As I landed in Charlotte, I felt so content to be back. We couldn't find a connecting flight to Richmond though so we again had to rent cars and drive 5 hours home. The car ride wasn't too bad because everyone was so delirious that we ended up laughing for the majority of the time rather than arguing. After we drove up the driveway, I literally jumped into bed too tired and thankful to change into pajamas.
           Though the traveling portion of the trip didn't go exactly as planned (understatement), I realized again that I was glad I was with my family rather than my friends. When situations get sticky, I find it easier to lash out at my family because I know they have to love me no matter what....



No comments:

Post a Comment